Monday, March 19, 2018

Spring Break at the Movies...


For those of you that have followed me for a while, you know I don't usually take much time away from writing or reading for movies or television. 

Well, last week was spring break here and I made a conscious effort to spend some time with video.

I went and saw four movies at the theater AND have been watching two netflix series. So I thought for this week's Friday Five (yes, I know I'm two days late...it was spring break...hehe...so I was breaking), I would share what I've been watching and my quickie reviews of all of them...

Black Panther...
rating: A+

I know, I know. Everyone has raved about this movie and that's why I went to see it. While I love the Marvel world, I'm hopelessly behind, so I don't worry about catching too many of these at the theater. 

I was so completely blown away by this movie. Everything about it was fantastic...the story, the characters, the cinematography (wow, it was gorgeous...it's definitely one to see in the theater). 

I fell in love with it. Hubby and I were alone the first half of spring break because Kat (my 10yo) was at her grandparents. I'm debating going to see this again, taking Kat with me this time. (Although, it might be a bit too intense violence-wise on the big screen for her...so, we'll see...I'm still debating it.)




Game Night...
rating: A

Like I mentioned, Kat was out of town so this was what we decided to go see as our 'adult' film...LOL, not that kind of adult film. 

But I was so surprised by this movie. There was a LOT more to it than I expected. For some reason, I was thinking it was going to be a lot like one of those movies that's always better drunk...like The Hangover. But it was so much more than that. 

I really enjoyed it...hubby did, too.


A Wrinkle In Time...
rating: B

Many moons ago, I worked in a bookstore and read this book, but I'll be honest, I don't remember a bit of it. So, I wasn't sure what the movie was going to be like. 

It far surpassed what I expected in several ways, but it was also a bit disappointing in another. At times, the movie seemed almost too artistic. It had an AMAZING 'moral of the story' that surprised me and the movie is breathtakingly beautiful. There were just a few moments where it felt like the artistry pulled it off the task of telling the story.

I loved that we went and saw it, but I won't want to ever see it again, I don't think.



Love, Simon...
rating: A+

Wow, wow, wow. I debated back and forth about whether to read the book before going to see the movie. In the end, I have seen the movie, but I haven't read the book, yet. 

But THE MOVIE WAS PHENOMENAL!!!

I took Kat with me when we went and saw it and we both adored it so, so much. It was so good. Such an incredible story about the realities of teenage love (gah, it doesn't matter who you are or who you have a crush on, being a teenager is NOT for the faint of heart). 

I loved everything about the movie...the story, the characters, the way things were handled throughout the movie, and OMG...I want that house. I loved it!! And will happily watch it again and again. Kat and I both cried during it. 

And now, I need to read the book!





Netflix...
Jessica Jones
rating: B+

Confession: I'm only 4 episodes into Season 1, but I'm really liking this show...and this isn't one that normally I would like. Although now that I say that it occurs to me that this show is a LOT like Veronica Mars with a lot of alcohol, violence and sex...it's the adult version of Veronica Mars. And I'm kinda, really loving it. 

But I'm having to take it slow, because you know, that whole writing and reading thing I have going on in my life...hehe.



Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
rating: A

Ben found this show on Netflix and if it had been up to me, I never would have stopped and watched it because truthfully, I am NOT a Jerry Seinfeld fan.

But dang, this is the thing we are most enjoying on tv now that the Olympics are over. We've gotten strangely addicted to this one and there are five or seven seasons, so thankfully, we still have a lot of shows to watch. 

We both like this one. It's really, really entertaining...sometimes funny, and a lot of times surprisingly thought-provoking. It's been fun to see some of our favorite comics in a more natural setting.




That's it for me for this 'Friday Five'...

Keep watching this space all this week because...

WHEN LOVE COMES BACK
releases on Friday!!!

Amazon preorder


smiles,
Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment